Hello World! Jacob’s Birth Story

Well, it’s been a week since little man joined our little family and we couldn’t be happier. He truly is a special little boy 🙂

So to start off; let’s just say that I had somewhat of a “birth plan” that went flying out the door when the day came lol.

I had a doctor’s appointment Thursday 3/23 and by that time my mucus plug had started to come out and I was dilated 1cm. I still didn’t think much of it and thought Jacob would arrive later but by that Saturday morning (3/25) at 6:30am I started with contractions. They were light and pretty sporadic. We started getting things ready and by 11ish they were getting closer to each other and we decided to go to the hospital.

Once we got to the hospital we had to wait a good 2 hours because all the rooms were full. By this time the contractions were getting more intense and painful. By the time they got us a room and hooked up my IV and everything I was in a lot of pain. I could’ve sworn I was at least 6cm because the pain was much more intense than when I had Callie and I had gone up to 6cm before getting the epidural with Callie.

When they checked me I was only 3cm!! Lol. I think every woman initially wants to go as natural as possible but I also wanted to enjoy the experience and not be in agonizing pain. By the time I got the epidural I was about 5cm.

The actual epidural was painful this time as well. My nurse thinks it might have been because the anesthesiologist didn’t let the area numb first before inserting the needle. I screamed so loud and starting crying at this point. Joshio also got teary eyed because he said he had never seen me in so much pain and was getting worried.

Welp, once I got the “juice” I was in heaven…lol. A few hours later my contractions had died down and they gave me Pitocin to keep them going and the doctor came in a broke my water…Everything I didn’t want but ended up having. I wanted my water to break naturally, I didn’t want to take Pitocin and I didn’t want get the epidural. But I did what I had to do at the moment and didn’t stress about changing my mind.

So it was time to start pushing and pushing this time around was harder too. I felt like I was doing it completely wrong and the doctor and nurse were telling me I was doing it wrong, lol. I pushed for about 10-15 minutes and there he was! The umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck but wasn’t tight and we weren’t too worried because they had been monitoring his heart rate the whole time.

The Doctor I had was the on call doctor and not my regular doctor so I was a bit bummed. Most of the doctors in the group are great but I didn’t like this lady and she didn’t make for a nice experience. I also wanted the umbilical cord to stop pulsing before cutting it and I wanted my placenta to expel naturally both of which didn’t happen. Mainly because I wasn’t comfortable talking to the doctor L

Anyway, once he was out the last worry or moment of anticipation is hearing him cry. Once we heard that cry I gave a sigh of relief, they placed him on my chest for the skin to skin time which what they are calling now the “golden hour”. An hour of just mommy and baby time.

My experience wasn’t the best in the world but all I cared about was having a healthy baby. Once I was out of labor and delivery and they placed in the other room things were much better and went smoothly.

As painful as it is I thank the Lord for allowing me to experience giving birth and bringing life into this world. 😀


Share This:

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *